Listen here. Download here.
I did a longform interview with Aaron on the Embrace the Void podcast this week about Automation and Utopia. We discuss a number of the key philosophical questions and assumptions underlying the book's main arguments. Topics covered include:
- (i) the definition of work;
- (ii) the case for techno-pessimism;
- (iii) how to understand utopianism;
- (iv) the lightness of being a cyborg;
- (v) what it would mean to live in a virtual utopia.
This is a good primer for anyone interested in the book though, as per usual, we only scratch the surface of the issues.
I also played the 'realism-antirealism' lightning round game and I contradicted myself several times.
I highly recommend checking out other episodes in the podcast too. There are some excellent, substantive philosophical discussions up there.