As my penultimate end-of-year-review post, I thought I would provide links to some of the media appearances and mentions I had in the past year. I'm not going to list everything. For instance, my paper on sex work and technological unemployment was featured on several news websites but without anyone interviewing or talking to me first and often with its main thesis ignored -- I discussed this in my first newsletter back in September. So I'm really only including media appearances and mentions here that occurred with some contact between myself and the relevant outlets, or, exceptionally, where I felt they did a good job representing what I have written (Ronald Bailey's article, below, is the only real example of this).
- 'John Danaher on Algocracy and Transhumanism’ - Wide-ranging interview about ethics, algorithms and automation. Singularity Bros Podcast, Episode 54
- ’Algocracy’ - Interview about my research project and podcast on the Robot Overlordz Podcast, Episode 284
- ’Algocracy: Opportunities and Risks’ - Interview with Adam Ford about my algocracy research project. Two parts to the discussion.
- ’Finding meaning in an automated future’ - an interview about work and life in the face of increased automation. Powerful Nonsense Podcast, Episode 95.
- ’Is High-Tech turning us into the Borg?’ - an interview about the possible ways in which technology is leading to the creation of less human, more hivemind-like societies. The Social Network Show
- ’The Sofalarity is Near’ - interview about technological unemployment and the future of work. Robot Overlordz Podcast Episode 237
- Interview about the ethical implications of love and sex with robots - Inside Culture, RTE Radio 1 June 20th 2016
- Interview about the legal and ethical implications of self driving cars - TRT World Insight, July 28th 2016
- Unthinkable: Is it unethical to take brain stimulants?’ by Joe Humphreys, January 12th 2016
- ‘Welcoming Our New Algorithmic Overlords?’ by Ronald Bailey. Feature article on reason.com about my paper ‘The Threat of Algocracy’ .
- 'English Robots will Miss their Big Shot for a Bill of Rights' by Olivia Goldhill - Interview on quartz.com for a piece about robot rights and responsibilities.
- ‘Would a Work-free World be So Bad?’ by Ilana E. Strauss, The Atlantic, June 28th 2016.
- ‘Sex robot brothels coming to a town near you’ by Dimtry Belyaev, The Metro, September 1st 2016
- ‘What if the Robot Utopia Leads to an Existential Crisis for Humans’ Keith Wagstaff, VICE: Motherboard 25 April 2016