Myself and Neil McArthur's edited book Robot Sex: Social and Ethical Implications (MIT Press 2017) has been featured in a number of recent media pieces. Although this topic is usually treated with excessive hyperbole by the media, we have managed to secure some pretty good, substantive engagement with the ideas in the book in some outlets (partly because we wrote some of it). I'm collecting links to these pieces here. If you know of any other coverage, please let me know.
[Also if you'd like to buy or review the book on Amazon, I wouldn't be displeased...]
- 'Kunstigt Klimaks' (roughly: 'Artificial Orgasm') - Weekendavisen, 15th September 2017 by Anne Jensen Sand. (This is in Danish so I have no idea what it says)
- 'How Sex Robots Could Help with the Nuts and Bolts of Relationships' - The Guardian, 3rd October 2017 - (this is an opinion piece authored by myself and Neil)
- 'Falling in Love with Sexbots' - by Brian Appleyard in The Sunday Times News Review, 22nd October 2017 (sadly behind a subscription wall -- though you can get free access by signing up)
- 'Robot Sex: A Book for the Enlightened Sapiosexual' - by Jenna Owsianik in Future of Sex, 3rd November 2017
- 'Philosophers on the 'intriguing ethics' of sex robots' - by Joe Humphreys in The Irish Times, 21st November 2017
- 'Why human-robot relationships are totally a good thing' - by Luke Dormehl in Digital Trends, 25th November 2017.
- 'Hot Tech: U of M Prof Makes the Case for Sexbots' - by Samantha Samson in CBC News, 28th November 2017.
- 'Could sex robots result in happier marriages? New book examines possibility' - by Mike Brown in Inverse, 3rd December 2017
- 'Without properly addressing sexual violence, robot sex will be just as violent' - by Shawn Huberdeau, The Manitoban, 6th December 2017
- 'Tech books for Christmas: Food for thought' - by Wendy M Grossman, ZDNet, 18th December 2017.
- 'What if being a pre-programmed sexbot is good for robots?' - by Tom Woodley, Future of Sex, 22nd December 2017
- 'The Pros and Cons of Having Sex With Robots' - by Karen Turner, Vox, 12 January 2018.
- 'Sex Robot Samantha's 'Moral Judgment' AI is Nonsense: Experts tell us why' - by Mike Brown, Inverse, 16th January 2018.
- 'Sex auf Knopfdruck' - by Adrian Lobes, Spektrum.de, 3rd April 2018
- 'Can this Marriage be Saved? Yes, if you fuck a robot (according to this expert)' - by Tracy Clark-Flory, Jezebel
- 'Marriage in Rough Shape? A Sex Robot Could Help, Says UBC Professor' - by Stephanie IP, Vancouver Sun
- Sex with Robots can Save Marriages, says UBC Professor' - by Melanie Green, StarMetro Vancouver
- 'Sex Robots and the Future of Marriage' - by Thandi Fletcher, The Tyee
- 'Can Sexbots Save Marriages by Taking the Sex Out of Them?' - by M.Christian, Future of Sex
- 'Sex Robots are Coming. We Might Even Fall in Love with Them' - by Sean Illing, Vox.com
- 'How Sex Robots Could Revolutionize Marriage -- For the Better' by Marina Adshade, Slate.com
- 'What is the future of sex robots?' Review the Future Episode 87
Audio and Video Interviews
- 'Episode 114: John Danaher on Having Sex with Robots' - Singularity Bros Podcast, 23rd October 2017
- 'Robot Sex: Social and Ethical Implications' - interview with Adam Ford on Youtube, 1st November 2017
- 'Is sex with robots ethical?' - interview Neil McArthur did with The Manitoban about the book, 1st December 2017
- 'Episode 84: Sex Robots - To **** or not to **** (w/John Danaher)' - Future Left Podcast
- 'Episode 33: McArthur and Danaher on Robot Sex: Social and Ethical Implications' - Algocracy and Transhumanism Podcast
- 'Robot Love' - Interview between Sven Nyholm and David Edmonds on the Philosophy 24/7 podcast.
- 'UBC Prof: The Sex Robots Are Coming to Save Your Marriage. No, really' - Interview with Marina Adshade, Global News (Canada)
- 'Robot Sex - with John Danaher, Virtual Futures Salon' - in conversation with Kate Devlin
- 'Episode 66: Robot Sex and AI Love' - Future Fossils Podcast with Mike Garfield