Moral change occurs whenever there is some alteration in moral values (what is good or bad) and rules of conduct (what is right/wrong, permissible/impermissible). Moral revolutions arise whenever there is some significant change in morality. Over the past few years, I have written a number of articles about moral change and moral revolutions. As you might expect, several of these articles focus on the role of technology in facilitating or catalysing moral change. I thought it might be worth collecting all of those articles into one index, in case anyone is interested. If you want an overview of why I think this is an important topic, and how I think it should be studied, I recommend starting with my academic article 'Axiological futurism' (linked below).
- Axiological Futurism: The systematic study of the future of values
- Artificial Intelligence and Legal Disruption: A New Model for Analysis
- In Defence of the Hivemind Society (a sort of case study in axiological futurism)
- The Frenetic Standstill: On Technological Change and Institutional Inertia
- Artificial Intelligence and the Constitutions of the Future
- Is there such a thing as moral progress?
- Are we in the midst of an ongoing moral catastrophe?
- The Robotic Disruption of Morality
- What causes moral change? Some reflections on Appiah's Honour Code
- Moral Revolution, Moral Reform and Moral Drift
- Can We Morally Judge the Past? On Williams's Relativism of Distance
- Will COVID-19 Spark a Moral Revolution? Eight Possibilities
- Robots, AI and the Moral Culture of Patiency
- The Mechanics of Moral Change
- Is Morality All About Cooperation?
- Technology and the End of Reality: Is the infocalypse imminent?
- A Taxonomy of Possible Moral Changes
- The Technological Mediation of Morality: Explained
- Has Technology Changed the Moral Rules Regarding Sex and Marriage?
- From Mind-as-Computer to Robot-as-Human: Can metaphors change morality?
- Flipping the Script: When do technologies disrupt morality?
- The Shape of Techno-Moral Revolutions: Lessons from Carlota Perez